Growth & Skill Development
Baby's first birthday party
Your baby is turning 1 year old! That calls for a celebration. But since your baby won’t quite understand what’s going on, this party is more for you and your friends and relatives.
To make sure it’s fun for the adults, other kids, and your baby, here are a few pointers:
- Plan ahead. Whether you’re inviting 20 guests or just a few, get your invitations out early so you won’t be disappointed by no-shows.
- Pick a theme. Consider cowboys, teddy bears, princesses, cartoon characters, or animals. The theme could also be a color, or centered on a specific song, movie, or nursery rhyme.
- Set a time limit. If you invite children who also are around a year old, keep the party to 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Include a variety of activities. If older kids are coming, plan one or two games or activities for them.
- Expect surprises. Babies are unpredictable. So if the party doesn’t go exactly according to plan, try not let it upset you.
- Be ready for messiness. Let your birthday baby eat the cake her way—probably with her hands. Have extra bibs, napkins, and wet wipes to clean up.
Remember your other children
If you have other little ones who may become jealous, be sure to remember them with some small gift or special treat. They’ll appreciate getting some of the attention from others too.