Week 08: Your pregnancy
Your baby's growth: Bone, joint and limb development
She's about half an inch long, and by next week or so her head will become more rounded as the embryo begins to look more like a baby.
Week 8 is the time her body begins to fine-tune its bone, joint and limb development, and tiny finger and toe buds appear. She may someday use her hands to sculpt or perform surgery, but right now those hands are little nubs.
There are a lot of other things happening as well:
- Eyelids are beginning to form.
- The tip of your baby's nose is taking shape.
- Blood is beginning to flow through a rudimentary circulatory system.
- Digestive tract continues to develop.
- Gonads are beginning to transform themselves into either testes or ovaries.
- Ears are developing both inside and out.
- Elbows have just started to appear.
- Vertebrae and ribs are beginning to grow.
- Muscles and two layers of skin are forming.
What's happening with you
- New emotions. You may soon find yourself experiencing an emotional roller coaster of highs and lows as you feel excited one day and irritable the next. These mood swings may take you by surprise! But take comfort in knowing that this is a common pregnancy symptom, as hormone levels are fluctuating dramatically.
- Breast enlargement and bigger waistline. Your pregnancy is starting to change your figure as well as your moods. Your breasts are enlarging and your waistline is starting to grow.
- Cramping. Even though you may not be showing yet, your uterus has grown from about the size of a fist to as big as a grapefruit. As your uterus grows, it's normal to feel some cramping, discomfort or tightening.
- First doctor's visit. You've probably scheduled your first office visit for urine and blood tests, a general physical examination, baseline blood pressure evaluation, weight check, pelvic exam, Pap smear and a review of your family health history.