How to prepare formula using water
- Learn how to sterilize tap or bottled water.
- Bottled water for mixing formula for babies less than six months should be fluoride-free.
At a restaurant, your waiter might ask you: what water would you prefer…bottled or tap? If you choose to formula feed, the same question goes for mixing formula.
Talk to your doctor about whether it’s necessary to sterilize your water. If it is, sterilizing water is super simple to do:
- Run cold water from faucet for at least 30 seconds to help flush out impurities.
- Heat bottled or cold tap water to a rolling boil for no more than one minute.
- Let the water cool for 30 minutes before using.
Good to know
The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) states that babies don’t require fluoride supplementation in their first six months of life. Also, according to the American Dental Association (ADA), excess fluoride may lead to enamel fluorosis, which can cause tooth discoloration.
How was the information in this article?