Shaping life-long eating habits
- Eating meals with your child is a great time to be a good role model and help him build good eating habits.
- Using a positive feeding approach can help positively influence his eating habits.
How you feed is just as important
Toddlerhood can be a challenging time when it comes to healthy eating habits. Moms who seem to be successful in getting their child to eat a varied and nutritious diet are adopting some of these practices:
- Taking the time to sit and eat with their child.
- Acting as a good role model by eating healthy foods themselves.
- Having reasonable expectations of what and how much their child will eat.
- Giving their child choices, but limiting unhealthy options.
- Involving their child in preparing meals.
- Being consistent with their approach to feeding — not demanding one minute and relenting the next.
- Making mealtimes pleasant and fun.
- Rewarding their child with praise, high-fives and hugs — not candy and snacks.
How was the information in this article?