baby with plants

Our Approach to Sustainability

Gerber was founded on the ambition to give babies the best start in life. That's why our work doesn't stop at nutrition, and why every day, we take action to protect the planet so Gerber babies will grow and thrive for generations to come.

Doing our part
responsible packaging
Responsible Packaging

We're striving to achieve 100% nationally recyclable or reusable packaging by 2025, while reducing our current packaging's impact on the planet.

What we've done so far

  • Reduced our plastic packaging volume by 6+ million pounds to date
  • 80% of our packaging is recyclable. For the remaining 20%, we have partnered with TerraCycle to make sure 100% of our packaging can now be recycled nationally
  • Introduced IncrediPouch - the first-of-its-kind, single-material baby food pouch designed for the future of recycling
supply chain
Responsible Supply Chain

We're working toward zero waste, and reducing carbon emissions and water use by 35% by 2020, compared to Nestlé's 2010 baseline.

What we've done so far

  • Diverted 73% of waste from landfill at our factories in 2018, with plans to reach 100% by end of 2020
  • Reduced energy use through lighting upgrades, operational efficiencies, and more
responsible agriculture
Responsible Agriculture

We're committed to sourcing high quality ingredients that nourish your baby and the planet through our Clean Field Farming™ practices.

What we've done so far

  • We help restore nutrients in the soil naturally through best-in-class crop rotation practices
  • Every fruit & veggie is grown Non-GMO; always has been, always will be
our recycling process

Our Recycling Process

To help keep our world as pure as our little ones, we've been committed to a comprehensive recycling program. Since 2017, we've been working with How2Recycle to increase transparency about our process and ensure that all packaging labels are clear - this helps materials be processed correctly and avoid ending up in landfills. And now, we've entered a new partnership with TerraCycle to make sure items that were previously unrecyclable can now feel the love.

We've also introduced the IncrediPouch - the first-of-its-kind, single-material baby food pouch designed for the future of recycling. This is the latest initiative in our journey to make 100% of our packaging recyclable or reusable by 2025. The pouch is 100% recyclable through TerraCycle®.

Introducing our partnership with TerraCycle™

TerraCycle enables you to recycle items that were previously unrecyclable, like some of our lids and pouches. Items that are already recyclable, like glass and aluminum, are not part of the program.
Members of TerraCycle's Free Recycling Programs are automatically enrolled in the TerraCycle Points Program. For each shipment you send in, you can earn points and redeem them for a donation to a school or organization of your choice to spread the goodness even farther.

the path forward

The path ahead

We are proud of the progress we're making but know there's always more to be done. Our Clean Field Farming practices have set the stage for continued sustainable practices, by improving everything from the soil, to our harvest, to your kitchen. Our new partnership with TerraCycle is one way we're working to always improve.

Got questions? Chat with Dotti, your personal baby expert! Got questions? Chat with Dotti, your personal baby expert! Got questions? Chat with Dotti, your personal baby expert!

Text Dotti 24/7

Fill out the form to start your convo with Dotti (don't worry, you'll only have to do this once).
Not a MyGerber member?

* Text message delivery is subject to your mobile carrier network availability. Access and delivery is not guaranteed. Standard data fees and text messaging rates apply. Click here for Privacy Policy.